Shock issue???

Hendo

Having just rebuilt the rear suspension linkage on my KTM (all new bearings, new seals and bolts correctly torqued up) there is something wrong.

Push down on the rear and it sinks ok, but it hardly wants to rise back up at all, like its stiff. So I disconnected the shock and all the linkage/swingarm moves freely and fine.

So it must be the rear shock. Thing is it was totally fine when I took it out about 3 weeks ago.

When I took the shock out I degreased it with 'gunk' degreaser. I didnt submerge it but gave it a good lathering. Could the degreaser have nackered the seals etc in my shock causing these symptoms?

And next question is who can you recommend for re-building shocks if it needs it lol? Its a WP shock.

Cheers

Andy

EDIT- I didnt adjust any settings on the shock at all.

Having just rebuilt the rear suspension linkage on my KTM (all new bearings, new seals and bolts correctly torqued up) there is something wrong.

Push down on the rear and it sinks ok, but it hardly wants to rise back up at all, like its stiff. So I disconnected the shock and all the linkage/swingarm moves freely and fine.

So it must be the rear shock. Thing is it was totally fine when I took it out about 3 weeks ago.

When I took the shock out I degreased it with 'gunk' degreaser. I didnt submerge it but gave it a good lathering. Could the degreaser have nackered the seals etc in my shock causing these symptoms?

And next question is who can you recommend for re-building shocks if it needs it lol? Its a WP shock.

Cheers

Andy

EDIT- I didnt adjust any settings on the shock at all.

Sounds like it could be an internally sticking rebound valve - happens with ohlins on the odd occasion

-John

you tried backing the rebound off totally to see what happens? and try bouncing it up and down a few times to see if it comes back. something may have happened when it was laid on it side - but this seems unlikely somehow

.....and try bouncing it up and down a few times to see if it comes back. something may have happened when it was laid on it side - but this seems unlikely somehow

Cheers guys.

Thats the problem, there is no chance of 'bouncing' it lol. Ive been back out to have a look again and to be honest, its stiff pushing down aswell. But the linkage is all freely moving ;)

I havent touch any settings on it at all yet.

@ Docjohn- I take it that would mean a shock refurb then? Or do you know another cure?

Andy

@ Docjohn- I take it that would mean a shock refurb then? Or do you know another cure?

Andy

Yup - it's not expensive though.

But as has been pointed out, try winding the adjuster right out and see if it changes anything

-John

Right. Ive had the shock out again just to double check the linkage, and the linkage is totally fine.

Ive wound the rebound right off and its making no difference on any setting. From compressing the shock, to it being fully rebounded takes about 15seconds,its rebounding mega slowly :icon_salut:

Fucksticks.

Questions;

Can anyone recommend anywhere decent to get it rebuilt?

Would it be worth getting it set up to suit me at the same time? (bearing in mind the forks wont be getting done)

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what could have caused it? The degreasing? Lying on its side on my bench for 3 weeks?

Double bugger.

Cheers

Andy

Its down at MCT now, they are doing a basic service on it, seals, oil and gas for around £75. With my engine rebuild I cant really afford to be spending uneccessary money on it unfortunately.

Andy

Its down at MCT now, they are doing a basic service on it, seals, oil and gas for around £75. With my engine rebuild I cant really afford to be spending uneccessary money on it unfortunately.

Andy

Any diagnosis on what the problem was?

-John

Any diagnosis on what the problem was?

-John

They only recieved it yesterday, but I have mentioned it to them. Hopefully they can give me some feedback on it when its done.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Got the shock back and it is now in the bike and working laaaaavrly.

Im not quite sure what they found wrong with it, but I did pick up him saying there was basically no oil in it.

How this has happened I have no idea as it was fine before I took it out. I'd better check down the back of my bench for a puddle of oil...

£99 for new seals, gas and oil and delivered back to me. Not bad service.

Andy

Archived