Suspension Setup

Timbo S2

G'morning.

Need a little help regarding the setup of my suspension. Got GSXR600 k5 forks and a new ohlins rear shock on my SRAD 750 trackbike. No idea of settings, can someone give me a base?

Standard setting for the forks will help (anyone got these handy?) , rear sag etc. has been set up, is it a case of just setting shock 'in the middle' and playing when out on track next?

Always always start with setting the static sag (How much of the suspension travel the weight of the bike uses without the rider). 25-30mm at the front and 10-15mm at the rear is what your looking for.

Put all the damping settings roughly in the middle of their range or at least so the bike moves equally front and rear when you bounce it by pushing down on the rear of the fuel tank (roughly the centre of the bike).

Then ride it. If it feels like it's slow to turn or unstable then play with the ride heights untill your happy with the "attitude" of the bike. More ride height = quicker to turn, less = more stability.

Then fiddle with the damping to suit your tast/weight/riding style and so on. More compression on the front f you brake hard, less of you ride on bumpy road etc. etc.

Do those things in that order and you'll arrive at a setting you like.

Never never do eveything at once.

That's what I do anyway !!!

and it was a really good advise...don't mean to hi-jack this thread but this is a really good thread (at least to me...) I 2 have a ohlins rear shock but 1000 k4 forks with new oil and seals, this set up is on a gsxr 750 WR with 11w engine, I have yet to corner weight the bike (full) and then taking in corcern that I have 1,72 cm (whatever feets or inchs that is...:S) and weight 67 kgs at the moment (last year was 86 kg so I'm happy loool), then I have no clue whatsover on where to start with cause factory settings are for a whole diferent bike so I need to make click by click and trust that my brain is functioning right while I process the data while riding and tune it again...:S..messy hun?

or, get the forks to ktech for the full monty, and wonder how you managed to ride such a hideous piece of shit* before

*Seriously though, got my 98 R1 done - night and day difference on the track. If i get a track only bike, first job, without any doubt at all is suspension, ie nitron shock and k-tech fork conversion. Worth so many more seconds a lap than an exhaust/power commander etc it's not funny!

J

or, get the forks to ktech for the full monty, and wonder how you managed to ride such a hideous piece of shit* before

*Seriously though, got my 98 R1 done - night and day difference on the track. If i get a track only bike, first job, without any doubt at all is suspension, ie nitron shock and k-tech fork conversion. Worth so many more seconds a lap than an exhaust/power commander etc it's not funny!

J

yup dead right, if only they were just around the corner...:S

Right, thanks for advice.

Bikes in today having shock fitted, when I pick it up I may be cheeky and ask then to set sag for me...

Will adjust forks as best I can and hope there is a suspension guy at trackday (Hottrax, is this likely?)

G'morning.

Need a little help regarding the setup of my suspension. Got GSXR600 k5 forks and a new ohlins rear shock on my SRAD 750 trackbike. No idea of settings, can someone give me a base?

Standard setting for the forks will help (anyone got these handy?) , rear sag etc. has been set up, is it a case of just setting shock 'in the middle' and playing when out on track next?

As far as the rear goes you should get the Ohlins manual and fitting guide with the rear shock if it's new, if not you can download them from the Ohlins site. They give really good guides on setup and recommendations on the best way to experiment with the settings. Really helped me when I was tweaking my Ohlins shock. Not sure which Ohlins shock you have so I've added the manual for the 2000-2003 Gixer 750 because they don't seem to have a shock listed for any earlier models..

SU153 - Manual Fitting Instructions

If it's a different shock, just choose the model number here: 'GSXR 750 - Ohlins' and you can download the manuals.

Good luck, I have an Ohlins shock and front springs on my old fireblade and love it, I don't think I could ever go back to riding a bike with budget suspension. Good idea to get a suspension tech to help you on a track day, they could get a set up in a day that took me months of fiddling to figue out! Don't know if Hotrax will have a tech on your track day, if you give them a shout they'll let you know.

:icon_pale:

Archived