Homebrew turbo build

widdy

Hi peeps,

anyone ever done their own homebrew turbo convertion? i seem to remember renault 5 turbo's where popular at one point.

and was the pain worth it ? :eusa_whistle:

ok here are some specifics for those inclined-

i've got an ace (keeps up with rc8's ) and was thinking of chopping it in for a zzr to play with but then though about the turbo option.

exhaust manifold- how crutial are the individual pipe lengths etc and how difficult to manafacture

exhaust outlet- dump pipe only or repiped back through a silencer and the implications of each

intercooling, etc

it's not about outright speed but about haveing something a wee bit different

it depends on wich bike, if it has carbs (and wich ones CRs, CVs, etc) throttle boddies, mitsubishi TD04 tends to be pretty popular among home built kits, you can find a donour in a uno turbo i.e. for the smallest and in volvo's T4 and T5 and mitsubishi lancer evo if you want a bigger one, you need to custom make a plenum for the intake system, fuel pump, lower compression etc etc

it's all a bit vague without knowing what you plan on doing...:S

i have built a few car engines turbo'd and supercharged on a low budget. they are pretty simple but there are a few fundemental things they need. yep the renault5 turbo (Garett T2) is popular there are so many cars to rob bits from try to stick to petrol engine'd cars as the ar ratio of the turbo's are better. The main thing is if running carbs you will need a rising rate fuel pressure regulator to keep it above boost pressure. (other wise fuel goes the wrong way) carbs need to be sealed some need spindle seals fitting. and there is a thing calles a restrictor ring in the plenum which will need figuring out but there is info over the web. mechanically ie lower compression ratio needs sorting in some way piston or thick head gasket etc any questions post and i will help if i can

i have built a few car engines turbo'd and supercharged on a low budget. they are pretty simple but there are a few fundemental things they need. yep the renault5 turbo (Garett T2) is popular there are so many cars to rob bits from try to stick to petrol engine'd cars as the ar ratio of the turbo's are better. The main thing is if running carbs you will need a rising rate fuel pressure regulator to keep it above boost pressure. (other wise fuel goes the wrong way) carbs need to be sealed some need spindle seals fitting. and there is a thing calles a restrictor ring in the plenum which will need figuring out but there is info over the web. mechanically ie lower compression ratio needs sorting in some way piston or thick head gasket etc any questions post and i will help if i can

Thanks for the offer of help XTmito, no doubt i will be e-mithering you at some point with a daft question :eusa_whistle:

Archived