R1 4XV TPS error

Doug_R1

I don't know if it's connected, but the bike got caught in a horizontal rain shower on Thursday and on Friday the rev counter is showing a throttle position sensor error. I've stripped and cleaned most of the connectors on the wiring loom, and was wondering if anyone knows what could cause this error, apart from a genuine fault.

If I remove the tank I get the fuel level error, not because it's faulty, it's because it's not connected. The same goes for the exup pulley motor, disconnect it and get an exup error. So the logic goes that a throttle position sensor error could be caused by a break in the loom somewhere, or water corroding a necessary pin in a connector block, not necessarily a real fault.

It might be nothing, but when I turn the ignition on it sits for a couple of seconds and I hear a definite click from the battery/ecu area before the tacho starts flicking to 3,000.

Any idea what a replacement sensor costs?

The wiring and connector for the TPS runs along the inside of the right hand frame rail, just near the cut out on the tank. It's possible some water has got into the connector or the wiring and is causing the fault.

The other thing to check is that big white connector on the left hand side near the headstock. It's tucked into the fairing on that side, and the bastard thing is always going wrong. It could be that's the thing that's giving you the grief.

The bike's done 77,000 miles so maybe it's just worn out, it's just a variable resistor after all. The white connector block on mine is a bit dodgy, I lost the trip meter about a year ago, it resets with the ignition, but haven't had any more problems until now, it's clobbered in Corrosion-Block grease.

The connector block to the tps looked clean and dry, I'll try the electrical test in the service manual next.

The bike's done 77,000 miles so maybe it's just worn out, it's just a variable resistor after all. The white connector block on mine is a bit dodgy, I lost the trip meter about a year ago, it resets with the ignition, but haven't had any more problems until now, it's clobbered in Corrosion-Block grease.

The connector block to the tps looked clean and dry, I'll try the electrical test in the service manual next.

77,000 miles :rock: did you put them all on the bike?

I'm curious to know how has the bike held up to that sort of mileage?

You should be able to get a replacement TPS from a breaker, no problem. Be aware that Yamaha, for reasons best known to themselves, use secure Torx to fix it to the carb block, so you'll need a set of those. The set-up procedure is detailed in the manual, and you obviously have a copy of that.

77,000 miles :icon_blackeye: did you put them all on the bike?

I'm curious to know how has the bike held up to that sort of mileage?

Yes, I've had the bike from new, and from a short distance it looks like any other R1 of that age, maybe shinier. Most of the lower bolts have been replaced with titanium, nothing makes a bike look tattier than rusty fasteners. I've yet to do the shims, and I've balanced the carbs twice I think, but change oil and oem filter every 6 to 8,000. I do around about 105 miles a day so the oil is always run at operating temperature and is probably why I don't tend to get exup problems, it never sits long enough to sieze up. I had a YZF750R while the R1 was new, did about 75,000 miles on it, and it ran as sweet as a nut, the five valve Yams are seriously robust bits of kit. I always pick sports bikes for commuting, no steel frame to rust, a quick wash and they look fine, even in salty winter conditions.

You should be able to get a replacement TPS from a breaker, no problem. Be aware that Yamaha, for reasons best known to themselves, use secure Torx to fix it to the carb block, so you'll need a set of those. The set-up procedure is detailed in the manual, and you obviously have a copy of that.

Curiously, in a fit of honesty not seen since, I bought the manual when I got the bike. I do have a pdf version as well though, I print out the necessary pages when I'm doing oily jobs.

Went to the dealer to price a replacement, £140!!!!!!!!!!!! How on earth can Yamaha justify that price for what is essentially a variable resistor in a plastic cover? I'll bet it costs less than a fiver to make.

They had one lying around that was supposed to be fitted as a recall for another model, the owner never showed, so they said if it fits it's yours. The electrical connector fitted, the housing was identical, :eusa_think: and the output was ok when I set it up. I've done 150 miles with it and it seems fine. I'm going to Dremel the old one to see exactly what is inside.

I think a large box of sweets is the least I can give the lads at the dealers this weekend.

Went to the dealer to price a replacement, £140!!!!!!!!!!!! How on earth can Yamaha justify that price for what is essentially a variable resistor in a plastic cover? I'll bet it costs less than a fiver to make.

They had one lying around that was supposed to be fitted as a recall for another model, the owner never showed, so they said if it fits it's yours. The electrical connector fitted, the housing was identical, :eusa_think: and the output was ok when I set it up. I've done 150 miles with it and it seems fine. I'm going to Dremel the old one to see exactly what is inside.

I think a large box of sweets is the least I can give the lads at the dealers this weekend.

That is a good result indeed :tumbleweed:

Archived