Tyre compounds

j-maul

I'm looking at getting some Gp racer 209 dunlops, but i'm a bit unsure what compound to go for, do i go for the soft or the endurance. Bear in mind i'll be doing my first track day in Almeria in february. Or does anyone have any other tyre suggestions.

I'm looking at getting some Gp racer 209 dunlops, but i'm a bit unsure what compound to go for, do i go for the soft or the endurance. Bear in mind i'll be doing my first track day in Almeria in february. Or does anyone have any other tyre suggestions.

I've been using these for the last couple of years.

90% of the time I go for an M front and E rear. This works in almost all conditions. As it gets hotter you can go softer at the rear, its going to have to be stinking hot to use a S rear, really really stupid hot.

How many days is the trackday? If you get the compound wrong you'll trash a rear in two sessions max. Get it right and it'll last two days no worries.

Be very careful with checking your pressures/temps and you'll be ok.

Are you buying them there or taking them with you?

To be safe I'd go for M front and either M or E rear depending on what the temperature is going to be. (M if its going to be 30-32°C + air temp)

Its a three day one, i didn't realize there were so many compounds to choose from. I'll probably buy them before i go over, i'd rather they lasted me the whole three days than have to buy another pair once i'm there.

Check the weather and go for an M front and either M or E rear, should be fine for 3 days. The front will def be ok and the rear might drop off a bit but should last.

Just personal opinion like, and you may want to get/take other advice.

If you aren't riding there why not grab a set of tyre warmers and some n-tech's? You can usually buy them at race meetings, or get one of the companies that follows the racing around to order you a few in. You'll be amazed at the grip you get from slicks.

It's the way to go faster really. Slick tyres, warmers and a couple of drums of racing fuel.

If you aren't riding there why not grab a set of tyre warmers and some n-tech's? You can usually buy them at race meetings, or get one of the companies that follows the racing around to order you a few in. You'll be amazed at the grip you get from slicks.

It's the way to go faster really. Slick tyres, warmers and a couple of drums of racing fuel.

What are the n-techs, are they dunlops

What are the n-techs, are they dunlops

N-Techs are the next generation dunlops. Available either in slick or treaded pattern and are shit hot. Worth a good second a lap over the 209s.

You have a pm about tyre warmers :eusa_whistle:

Ntechs are awesome - I ran a set at the NW200 and the UGP this year, and am totally sold on them.

They don't like being stone cold, but work well with even a small amount of heat in them (I was using them after around half an hour cooling at a time and they were fine after a couple of corners)

The fronts last for ever.

They don't really go off with heat cycling too badly; I managed to get three days out of a set with over 30 heat cycles and on the last race of the day they were still good enough for a 4 minute lap of dundrod.

Highly recommended

;)

-John

Archived