What sort of torque wrench?

Matt69

I'm rebuilding my MC29 race bike and need to buy a torque wrench.

What sort should I buy and except for really expensive ones, does anybody have a good recommendation?

Matt

Another vote for the Halfords range. i have the large one and the smaller one and they cover all i need from small pinch bolt torques to the bigger axle ones.

I'll get hung for this, but I've got a 3/8" one from Lidl's that's been well worth the 6-8 quid that it cost.

In mitigation it's small (about half the length of the Halfords or Laser ones) and will only ever be used as a dedicated Fork clamp tool. M8 bolts only, M6 hex head socket dedicated to it.

I am after a full range of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" this year to replace the Draper/Indiscriminate Chinese junk that I've managed to accrue over the years.

Laser ones favourite at the moment, but I've got my eye on some digital japanese stuff that looks tasty. More when I've got the price down to half Facom/Beta stuff.

That'll be after I've purchased the ratcheting 3/8" speed wrench that's been stocked by my local Tool Van Man on the off chance that I'd fall in love. Anybody else like Kobe tools?

:lol:

I really do need to get out more.

:thumbsup:

This is my Blue Point 1/2" Torque Wrench which Mark/Foggy enjoyed using at the Bol d'Or last week... tis a thing of beauty...

6ec62d99.jpg

Clickety Click

That's a lot more than I paid for it though - from our local mobile Snap On man

This is my Blue Point 1/2" Torque Wrench which Mark/Foggy enjoyed using at the Bol d'Or last week... tis a thing of beauty...

But does it beep and vibrate like Triggers posh wrench? That's fucking swish, innit.

I'll get hung for this, but I've got a 3/8" one from Lidl's that's been well worth the 6-8 quid that it cost.

In mitigation it's small (about half the length of the Halfords or Laser ones) and will only ever be used as a dedicated Fork clamp tool. M8 bolts only, M6 hex head socket dedicated to it.

I am after a full range of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" this year to replace the Draper/Indiscriminate Chinese junk that I've managed to accrue over the years.

Laser ones favourite at the moment, but I've got my eye on some digital japanese stuff that looks tasty. More when I've got the price down to half Facom/Beta stuff.

That'll be after I've purchased the ratcheting 3/8" speed wrench that's been stocked by my local Tool Van Man on the off chance that I'd fall in love. Anybody else like Kobe tools?

:tumbleweed:

I really do need to get out more.

:)

My big torque wrench is the LIDL one, had it for about 9 years now, but it only really gets used for the wheel spindles. The wee Halfords one gets used regualrly and unusually for me, I still have the little tube it came in and store it away there when not in use!!!

But does it beep and vibrate like Triggers posh wrench? That's fucking swish, innit.

I've got a 3/8" electronic Snap-on that does the beeping and buzzing when the torque is reached even reads the actual torque you applied on the bolt, read out In-Lbs, Ft-Lbs and N-m. Picked it up 5 years ago for about $300USD :D Now the wrenches with accelerometers that read your torque and angle are the hot setup.

I've got a 3/8" electronic Snap-on that does the beeping and buzzing when the torque is reached even reads the actual torque you applied on the bolt, read out In-Lbs, Ft-Lbs and N-m. Picked it up 5 years ago for about $300USD :D Now the wrenches with accelerometers that read your torque and angle are the hot setup.

do you mean these bad boys ?

image0006l.jpg

around £600 the pair :D

halfords 3/8" gets my vote (i think they are rebadged sykes pickvant or norbar). great tool, good feel and price and usefull range 8-60Nm.

I have 1/4, 3/8" and 1/2" teng ones as well.

Apart from doing up the fork clamps, where the 1/4" wrench is so small and compact it is great to use and using the 1/2" one for spindles the halford wrench is always my first weapon of choice, the poor 3/8" teng barely gets used.

Buy the halfords one.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165469

Used a Halfords Pro 1/2 inch one today when I fitted a tow bar to the car so I can pull the bike trailer to tracks and stuff.

Thought I had misread the instructions first time.

The tow ball is torqued up to 210n/m. Seemed like a hell of a lot.....Thats the max on the wrench!

Seemed to do the job ok so another vote for Halfords!

Oh and it clicks :eusa_dance:

I also like most people have two. A halfords one for higher torque nuts and a low range draper. Shame the person who did my last oil change (before i bought the bike) didn't use a low range one before they stripped the threads on the bloody sump I've now got to replace!

I did that the first time I changed my own oil, using a torque wrench trying to get 12ft/lbs on the sump nut stripped it. Didn't replace the sump though, managed to get it helicoiled instead. Might be worth asking your local garages if they can do it for you.

On topic, another recommendation for the Halfords Pro 1/2" and 3/8" torque wrenches. :thumbsup:

I did consider it along with retapping it bigger or ally welded and rethreaded but managed to source a sump from a breakers for about £40 so not much in it really. I want to get it sorted as I could do without it vibrating out and dumping its guts on or around my rear tyre at any sort of speed (someone even suggested PTFE tape and wedge it in)!

Thanks for the replies, bought a Kinchrome 3/8 one for not too much. There's no Halford's in Aus.

Matt

I have Norbar wrenches.

I'm sure the cheapy ones do a job but you only buy a torque wrench once or twice in your life

Archived